Thursday, October 24, 2013

What a day to be watching the sunset!
Sitting on a tree stump in the woods,
Overlooking the torrent of water in the river.
Embers drifting away from the campfire.
Gathered around with all of my family,
We enjoy ourselves beneath the sky.

A bird is seen soaring through the sky
As we gaze upon the red sunset.
No one else, just me and my family.
Away from city life as we gather in the woods
Sitting by the warmth-giving campfire.
Still, the tickling of water is heard from the river.

The fish jump restlessly from the river
While hawks circle around in the sky.
Marshmallows brown in the heat of the campfire-
The only light source besides the sunset.
Sweet is the stillness of the woods
Filled with nature and my glowing family.

How great it is spending time with my family,
Camping next to the majestic river.
A lot is to be said about the serenity of the woods-
Connected to the world by the over-looming sky,
And the predictableness of the sunset.
Ending the day huddled around the campfire.

Sharing stories by the campfire-
Exchanging memories about our family.
I have never seen such a beautiful sunset-
Making its decent over the river
With distorted images of the above sky.
All surrounded by the vastness of the woods.

Animal echoes travel through the deep woods
And are heard by us gathered around the campfire.
Bats scurry for food up high in the sky.
While from below, stories continue about family.
The cool air drifts from the waters of the river
And hits us as we admire the sunset

My favorite things- the woods and my family,
Circled around the campfire nearby the flowing river.
Overshadowed by the sky and the closing sunset


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your poem it was relaxing and I felt warm inside! I love family time and just looking at wild life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way that particular words blossom in unfamiliar contexts. We expect for the campfire to glow, but how lovely is it that your FAMILY glows?! Of course they do! I also like the way that sweet shows up in proximity to the marshmallow line. We expect that sweetness, but it's also the exclamation of being able to spend precious time with family. Good one!

    ReplyDelete