I agree with Dana Gioia, poetry is losing its
significance in everyday life. In my own life, I have observed that poetry is
similar to reading books in that only people that enjoy reading them will do
it. Many people cannot get into reading or poetry, and will not go out of their
way to read it. I enjoy reading, but only if it something that truly grabs my
attention. It is the same with poetry. I often can’t follow through with
reading something unless it is interesting to me. So, I think the best way to
get people to read poetry is to make it appealing to them. This is the hard
part because everyone has such different taste. However, that is also the
beauty of poetry. It differs so greatly from poet to poet so it is able to
capture a wide variety of audiences. Dana Gioia explains some ways to make
poetry a part of American public culture. First she says that when poets give
public readings they should spend time reciting other people’s work. She claims
this will bring admiration to poetry in general and not just the specific poet.
I also believe this may help to bring more attention to poetry as a whole.
Gioia also says that public readings of poetry should include forms of art
beyond poetry such as music. This will get people with interest in other forms
of art to come to the reading and they may become interested in poetry through
the event. Overall, I believe poetry is a dying art, but if poets can find a
way to bring more public awareness to poetry then they may be able to bring
poetry back into the American public.
I'm curious....of the poems I assigned, whether in your text or in packets or even example poems on the blog--which poems stuck out to you? Which ones grabbed your interest?
ReplyDeleteI like poems that are not so abstract that no real meaning can be drawn from them. I like the poems, "Not Waving but Drowning", and "Sex without Love" because I think they are both beautifully written yet their message can be understood. They are both very relevant in today's society as well. I like poems I can relate to because it makes me that much more involved. I have also always liked "The Road Not Taken" and other poems by Robert Frost.
ReplyDelete